Chef: Dr. Aaron T. Dossey
- 100 grams (about 2 cups) of Griopro® Cricket Powder
- 700 grams (about 3 cups) of water
- Seasoning of your choice, salt etc.
- diced onions (if desired)
- Mix the Griopro® Cricket Powder with the water.
- Add to a non-stick pan, ideally with a clear lid.
- Simmer on low or medium with the lid on for approximately 10-20 minutes, stirring periodically as needed to prevent scorching or sticking to the pan. The material should begin to curdle, solidify and form a thicker slightly chunky oatmeal-like consistency. If this is not taking place after 5 minutes more heat can be applied.
- Once the slurry thickens to an oatmeal-like consistency, remove the lid and continue to cook and stir frequently until it looks more like a wet ground meat. Stir and monitor frequently to avoid scorching, burning or sticking to the pan. At this stage you may also wish to add some olive or other oil to assist in cooking.
- If the meat substitute product is drying out to quickly, reduce heat to prevent it from becoming too dry too quickly.
- Add desired seasoning at the stage where the product looks like a wet cooked ground meat. Stop cooking and remove pan from heat at this point.
- In a separate pan, sauté the onions to your liking, and oil and season as you see fit.
- Mix cooked onions with finished seasoned taco meat substitute and enjoy!